Psycho4 in gusty winds

General foil-stuff being discussed here.

Moderators: Way Too Much Wind, balugh, Job

Psycho4 in gusty winds

Postby wildocean » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:11 am

dear all,

can you please share your experience in flying the Psycho4 in bad/gusty wind conditions on both land and water?

the reason I am asking that is because I demoed the P4 10m from our local shop yesterday in very gusty winds, from hardly any to around 24 knots according to the wind report (always enough wind to keep me going upwind though). These kind of wind condition is about as bad as it can get in Sydney.

It was very disappointing for a first flight (one hour on the water).

On the beach, the kite would not stop falling out of the sky, collapsing, tip tucking... something I have never experience on any PIIIs, Pulse2s or even Speed2s!

On the water it was not too bad, but still very on/off and a fair bit of tip tucking making the kite difficult to control.

the central velcro-vent was fully opened, no idea how was the mixer test set up, very likely it was the factory setting because the kite only had 2 or 3 test flights before mine. The 10 other kites at the spot this day did not experience their kites falling out of the sky like that while on the beach (all tube kites).

last thing, when I came back to shore, again the kite could not stop collapsing and re-openning in the middle of the wind window... so I had to test the quick release: this did hurt both of my hands! one hand got 1 square centimeter of skin cut off, and the other hand got bruised! no idea what happended, it did release very well, but well... it hurts!

EDIT: the chicken loop came out of my harness twice while on the water!! is there a good and bad way to put it?? (should the hook be facing up or down? or is it not supposed to matter??)
wildocean
Foil Family

Postby gridlok » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:38 pm

This is a common problem with FS kites. The best workaround is the shorten the C risers a cm or 2 for your first couple of sessions then do a mixer test and put it back once the kite has bedded in.

I bought a 15SA and it was really bad till I pulled the C's in a bit then it flew great!

Karl
S3 19DE, 15DE & 12, S2 8, P3 10, P4 8 & 10, S1.5 10 6:2:1, Session 141, Rip Plus, 6'8" JL Fish, 6' LF Joystick, Plyboards
gridlok
Foil Family

Postby flyingtrunkie » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:50 pm

Today i had a session with the 12 meters in 12-22 knots + much gusts, so various circumstances. My experience wa that the that the tips were collapsing very often in the the gusts, when i depowerd with the bar, both with strap in and out. Then he does lose some power, but not too much, but i think its a bit irritating. I will put the C at first at -1 cm, hope that helps...

wildocean wrote:the chicken loop came out of my harness twice while on the water!! is there a good and bad way to put it?? (should the hook be facing up or down? or is it not supposed to matter??)

I have my chickenloop with the donkeydick at the right side, and no problems with that. Yesterday the white stick fellt out of the donkeydick, maybe yours fellt out of it too?

Another thing: When it started raining, the kite was very wet and there was also a winddrop, about 12 knots. I had to pull the stap in COMPLETE, or else the kite would NOT STAY IN THE AIR anymore. I have never had this with my P3's. Did any of you had this experience?
Flysurfer Psycho4 12 / Flysurfer Psycho3 8 / Flyradical M 2009
flyingtrunkie
Foil Family

Postby Klaus cE » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:30 pm

Hai,

flyingtrunkie wrote:I had to pull the stap in COMPLETE, or else the kite would NOT STAY IN THE AIR anymore. I have never had this with my P3's. Did any of you had this experience?

Not with the Psyco 4 but i had it with my Psycho³ 8 in rain. Difficult to keep the kite airborne. I never had it with a Titan, Psycho² or Speed though.
Sea You: Klaus (c:E
Klaus cE
Foil Family

Postby CMC » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:22 pm

On the water it was not too bad, but still very on/off and a fair bit of tip tucking making the kite difficult to control.

Yep, tested the PS4-10m yesterday and can confirm that. The wind was not gusty at all, something between 14kn and 18kn. I did not like the behaviour of the kite. The tips were tucking every time I depowered.

I tested the Pulse2-10m afterwards, it was perfect and a lot of fun.
CMC
Foil Groupy

Postby sw8 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:31 am

my experience:

ii used the P4 15 and P4 12 in the upper windrange with gusty winds. The collapsing and unfolding of the tips was a hell. Specially in waves when you use the depower and the inconstant pull is not nice.

after c -2cm and b -1cm the problem it was ok (not perfekt)

i will do i that way: in high winds mixer c -2 b -1, in laminar mid winds to low wind: c-1

in very gusty winds (top of the windrange) i would close the center valve at least 1/2 so the kite will not move forward that agressive anymore, stays more back in the window.

another thing: one of my new P4 had a mixer with c 0 and b - 1,5
so one should always check the mixer on new kitesfirst , because somtimes its not trimmed correct
sw8
Foil Family

Postby MrPloppy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:27 am

I really hope this tip folding is just bedding in. I don't think I will be getting one until this becomes clear. I know the kite is a "freestyle" design so some ease of use might be lost for performance but its not sounding good.
Ah ach no Sir. I am the first Ploppy to rise to be jailor. My father, Daddy Ploppy was known as Ploppy the slopper.
MrPloppy
Foil Family

Postby benwilder » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:38 am

Tip fold if you depower kite much, specially if gust hits. You cant feel the little folding but if kite folds much you lose some power for a while. I noticed foldings but didnt feel it. My settings was before session all equal, but i have to check them again before next one (this was first flight for this kite).
If you do change mixer settings to more stable it make kite more prone to backstall. I had this issue while unhooked. Not sure was it low wind at the time or what, but i had to pull strap 15 cm in.
benwilder
Foil Family

Postby marman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:50 am

I will check the set up on mine but out of the bag my 10m is flying very well in gusts, I was flying on a gusty common on saturday and then the beach on sunday, obviously the beach was nicer but I didnt have tip or calapse issues,

Maybe it will take some time for people to ride the kites more as they are not like any other flysurfer
Flysurfer Speed 3 and Flyboards @ www.atbshop.co.uk
www.facebook.com/#!/pages/ATBshop/94440181043
marman
Foilzone ''Pimp''

Postby sw8 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:19 am

benwilder wrote:..
If you do change mixer settings to more stable it make kite more prone to backstall. I had this issue while unhooked. Not sure was it low wind at the time or what, but i had to pull strap 15 cm in.

My personal preference is to use the depower strap to adjust the kite that it has only a little bit of backstall with the bar pulled all in.

With factory settings of the mixer, my P4 has backstall for the last 10cm. So i ride it with the adjuster pulled 1/2 in.

After 16h on the P4 i'm now comfortable with it.
i think it is a great kite, but i needed to finetune it to my preferences. I think that one must get used to the different behaviors of the kite compared to Speed2 / Pulse.

Unhooking seems much more easy to me, and Oldschool still possible and fun (with different handling on the bar).

@marman, gusty winds can be very different from gusty winds i think. In my opinion, the factory setting of P4 when its brand new is not suitable for a big wind-range unless the wind is not perfect and the kiter not very expierenced with this kite.
In my opinion i cannot accept the "factory default" in gusty winds at the top of the windrange..
sw8
Foil Family

Postby marman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:25 am

I captured some video this weekend, Speed2 and Psycho4, will release it this week, It includes jumps, spins, kiteloops, handlepasses inland...in gusty winds,

Im just saying, Im having no difficulty after only 4-5hours on the kite - straight from the bag :oops:
marman
Foilzone ''Pimp''

Postby sw8 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:37 am

marman wrote:Im just saying, Im having no difficulty after only 4-5hours on the kite - straight from the bag :oops:

i think you are a more expierienced kiter than me :D ,
"gusty winds at the top of the windrange" -
so for the 10m2 i would say gusty 30 knots..

with gusty 15knot on the 15m2 i have no problem, tip tucking becomes uncomfortable at 20ktn+
sw8
Foil Family

Postby marman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:38 am

Looks like ill have to wait for a 30knt day then ;) :lol: [/b]
marman
Foilzone ''Pimp''

Postby benwilder » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:52 am

sw8 wrote:
marman wrote:

with gusty 15knot on the 15m2 i have no problem, tip tucking becomes uncomfortable at 20ktn+

For 20 knots gusts its ok and i can hadle kite easily, Dont need to pull strap any. This kite can depower much by moving bar.
benwilder
Foil Family

Postby Jrobson » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:26 am

Any 10m going for cheap then? :D
Willing to swop my 10m Pulse2 + cash adjustment if someone has a beast they can't and don't care to tame.
Jrobson
Foil Family

Next

Return to Foils galore!